This Day in Texas History:
Roberts Family Sells Nacogdoches Landmark
June 15, 1901
The Old Stone Fort dated to 1779, when Antonio Gil Ibarvo, who laid out the town, built a two-story stone house to use in the trading business. It remained the tallest structure in Nacogdoches for nearly a century. The Old Stone Fort assumed a quasi-public character over the following decades through several changes of ownership, and was the scene of many historic events. John S. and Harriet Fenley Roberts, who purchased it in 1838, operated a saloon there.
When the Perkins brothers dismantled the building, they donated the materials to a local ladies’ organization. In 1936 the state of Texas moved the materials to the campus of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College, where a replica of the original structure was erected for the Texas Centennial celebration.