This day in Texas History:
(from the Texas State Historical Association archives)
West Texas townsite company sells more than 200 lots despite sandstorm
December 03, 1924
On this day in 1924, the Anton Townsite Company sponsored a “Grand Opening Jubilee” despite a blinding sandstorm and succeeded in selling more than 200 lots in the new town of Anton, Texas.
Like many other Texas towns and cities, Anton, in Hockley County about twenty-five miles northwest of Lubbock, traces its origin to the arrival of the railroad, which fixed Texas urban development in a spatial pattern that remains little altered today.
Anton was located in the center of what had been the Spade Ranch’s north pasture at the site of Danforth Switch, a spur of the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway. The town was named in honor of J. F. Anton, a Santa Fe railroad executive. By 1926 several churches had been established; by 1929 the town had a bank. Grain, cotton, and later oil were central to the economy.
The town, which bills itself as the “Rabbit Capital of Texas,” also had a large rabbit-processing plant for a time, though by 1982 it had closed down. In 1998 the town’s population was estimated at 1,254.